Congratulations on your selection to attend the National War College.
You are embarking on what many say was one of the best years of their career. Getting you started on the right foot is our priority. For many of you, this may be your first experience with a Department of Defense (DoD) school. Additionally, we know that some of you are moving here from outside the Washington D.C. area to include outside of the country. In-processing can be confusing and stressful, so we want to help simplify things.
NWC is an in-resident (in-person) school. Part of the NWC experience is the face-to-face interaction that you will have with your classmates. This is where National and Institutional cultures meet. You will learn about other’s countries and/or other’s institutional cultures. Here at NWC, you will build relationships that will last a lifetime.
We understand that many of you are coming from telework environments which has shaped your professional and personal routines. Your initial experience will require some adjustment so please prepare yourselves and your families for a change in daily routine.
Click for Commandant's Welcome Letter
Click for Dean of Students Welcome Letter
Click for Student Spouse's Welcome Letter
All in-bound students will in-process with the National Defense University first. In addition to in-processing requirements, read through the pages and sub links carefully as they provide important information.
US Military Students
International Fellows (IFs)
- Students from partner and ally countries will receive all information from the International Student Management Office (ISMO). Please ensure you contact ISMO for all questions. Once you are in-processed, you will receive additional information from NWC this summer.
- Step 1 – Follow the links above for your specific category to complete the NDU cybersecurity and system access requirements, security clearance verification, and Common Access Card (CAC) request (if required).
- Step 2 – Contact your specific Service or Agency Chair listed below to ensure your pre-arrival requirements are complete.
- Step 3 – Complete the two NWC forms below to help us prepare for your arrival.
Click for NWC Nametag Request Form
Click for NWC Spouse Information Form
- Step 4
- US MILITARY: Attend one of the military in-brief days listed below
- US CIVILIANS: Attend the Civilian Pre-brief listed below
- Step 5 – Report for College orientation on: (date to be determined)
- A link will be provided for updated service and agency information.
As you work through the University’s in-processing, here is some additional College specific information:
2024 Academic Key Dates & Calendar
- The AY24 Academic Key Dates & Calendar can be accessed at the link below, and it includes important deadlines, holidays and events.
Click for AY24 Academic Key Dates & Calendar
2024 Student Handbook
- The 2024 Student handbook is being updated, please look through the 2023 Student handbook to help familiarize you with student and academic life at the college.
Click for AY24 NWC Student Handbook
2024 Military and Agency/Department Chairs
- Most of you have representatives or liaison officers as faculty here at the college. They serve as your main points of contact for administration and career issues. They will work with your headquarters to assist you with in-processing and administration.
Contact Military and Agency/Department Chair
2024 Spouse Orientation – Briefs
- The briefs from the Spouses Orientation on Wednesday, 30 August can be found at the link below.
Click for the Spouse Orientation Briefs